Leisha Baldwin, President, called the meeting to order at 6:45 pm.
- Guests: None
- New Members: None
Approve Minutes From May 14 Meeting
Sharon motioned for approval of May minutes. Jane seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
-Treasurer Karen Smart reports $1930.08 in Treasury, which includes a recent snack shack deposit. Slush fund contains $394.54. Savings account contains 2881.10, and earned 10 cents
-Fashion show netted $494.41 in profits. iii) Club’s ability to accept credit & debit cards is paying off with increased sales.
- Correspondence: none
- Donation requests:
-Gimme Shelter Carnival: Susi is asking for assistance with advertising. Lynne motioned to donate $150 for posters. Sharon 2nd. Motion passed unanimously.
-Health Care Trust Mammoth Lakes: Seeking donation to support Mammoth Hospital cancer outreach program by sponsoring a hole in their golf tournament. Tournament is June 27th. Club can have personal message on their sign “We appreciate your support” was suggested by Lynne. Lynne motioned to donate $250. Anna seconded. Motion passed unanimously.
-California Federation of Women’s Clubs Presidents Project: Capital tree plaque project. Markers would identify the California Federation of Women’s Clubs on trees that are planted around the State Capital. Each marker is $15. Lynne motioned to donate $150 to purchase plaques. Marcia 2nd. Discussion: Is the individual Club recognized on the plaque or the California Federation? Consensus is that the Federation, not individual club, would be recognized, but Karen will confirm. Motion passed unanimously.
-Mono County Behavioral Health (MCBH): Hosting a Community Service Fair on July 6th which will include a BBQ for kids. Sal from MCBH is requesting $200 to buy hotdogs etc. for the BBQ. Lynne motioned to donate $100 for hotdogs. Michelle R. 2nd. Motion passed unanimously. Susi indicated that Wild Iris will have a table at the fair, and suggested that Women’s Club should have one too. Offered to man the table if it were next to Wild Iris’. If anyone else in interested in manning a MLWC table for a couple of hours please send e-mail to Leisha.
- Leisha indicated that there is a need for committee volunteers, and identified what each committee would generally attend to:
-Social committee helps with birthdays, fun activities outside of Club meetings, as well as arranging for monthly meeting sites and securing hostesses and co-hostesses. Leisha reminded members that Sign-Up Genius is available to see what meetings need hostesses & co-hostesses. Katharine will send an updated Sign-Up Genius for upcoming meetings.
-Communication committee assists with website, social media and event promotion. Committee currently consists of Pat Agnitch and Patricia Ann Kent. Karen Siebert volunteered to help with communication committee.
-Membership committee is responsible for growing the Club membership by bringing in new members. This committee would also be responsible for recognizing Club member anniversaries.
-Fundraising committee needs individuals who will take charge of current fundraising events and/or assist those who are already in charge. Current fundraising events consist of holiday auction (needs someone to take the lead), fashion show (Lynne), and snack shack (Marcia). Karen Siebert volunteered to assist Marcia with the snack shack.
-Scholarship committee reviews essays and interviews graduating seniors to determine scholarship recipients. Typically new committee is chosen each year. Michelle R. indicated she would like to be a “permanent” member of the scholarship committee.
- Membership: no report
- Fundraising: Snack Shack: Over the last two months the snack shack has netted approximately $2400-$2600. It was also mentioned that the uptick in business is most likely due to ability to accept debit and credit cards, as well as good weather and because Little League management sent a letter to families letting them know about the Club, and what we do in the community. It was agreed that the Club should send a thank you to Little League for their efforts in promoting the Club’s presence.
- Snack Shack Update:
-Anna indicated that the staffing for the snack shack was not fair, that a select few ended up having to work 6 shifts. Anna urged all members to volunteer, and suggested that every member should work at least one shift. Anna indicated that it is not difficult and that it is an opportunity to get to know and bond with other members.
-Anna reminded Club that we are passing on covering the men’s league, and that the coed tournament brings more sales that men’s tournament.
-Anna mentioned that the Club has been approached by the football league to work the snack shack in return for 50% of sales. Susi indicated that Wild Iris employees will be offering to work snack shack in October.
-Marcia is trying to manage stocking the snack shack. Please e-mail her when stock of specific items is low so that she can keep up with inventory.
-Reminder that the First Five Health Fair is next week-end from 10am-2pm, and snack shack will be open.
- Fashion Show Recap: Lynne worked hard to put this event together, and by all accounts it was a success. The crowd had a great time and had good energy. The Club would like to thank Lynne for taking on this 1st annual event, and looks forward to many more. Fashion show netted $494.41 in profits.
- Holiday Auction Committee: no report
- Social: no report. It was mentioned again that any suggestion for summer BBQ be routed through Leisha or Jane.
- Communication: no report
-Kelley reported that the committee received 57 applications. Of those, 8 students were interviewed and 6 were chosen to receive awards. Total award amount is $4,000. The official announcement of student names will be released on Friday, June 13.
-If a Club member has a graduating senior, that child receives an automatic interview if they file an application.
-Michelle suggested that each student be funded for more than 1 year, and also suggested that the Club should/could be more invested in helping the seniors to establish life skills that could help them in the future.
- Meeting Etiquette: Leisha thanked members for all that they do. Reminded members that oftentimes meetings fall apart when there are side bar conversations, people talking over one another or overly strong opinions. Leisha reminded members that all opinions are valuable and respected, and that each member should have a turn to speak without interruption. Members should raise their hands and be acknowledged by Leisha rather than interrupt other speakers. In the interest of getting through the meeting on time, there will be a time limit on discussions.
- Gimme Shelter Carnival: General discussion on how the Club might be able to help. Susi will ask for more information from Donna about booths, etc. Lynne would like to remind everyone to be safe and to remind their children to be safe during the time that the event is in town.
- Women’s Club Shirts and Bags: Leisha indicated that tote bags, shirts, vests …just about anything in any color is available with MLWC logo. Items are available through Creative Embroidery, and can be ordered individually. Leisha suggested going in to Creative Embroidery to see what is available. Leisha also passed around order forms that can be used.
- Marcia inquired about any updates on Bluesapalooza. All we know at this point is that the event is from July 31-Aug 2, that the Club will be serving beer and can keep the tips. Pat A. will speak to Sean and see if there is any more info re: the Club’s participation.
- Kelly would like the Club to consider having slush fund fundraisers 3 or 4 times a year to maintain the slush fund balance. Kelly investigated Yankee candles as the first possible fundraiser. There is no upfront cost, items can be purchased through a catalog or online, and can be sent to e-mail contacts for even more sales. In return, Club would receive 40% back on all sales. Fall catalog sales start at the end of July.
Members’ News and Notes
- Leisha said that her step son, who is in the Job Corps, met a girl and is engaged
Next meeting will be July 9 at Michelle Royalty’s home. Co-hostesses are needed.
Adjournment: The meeting was adjourned at 8:40 pm.
Respectfully submitted by:
Susi Bains, Secretary